The PS1 System is much more than a wide-field camera and the world's largest digital camera. It is an integrated system that includes a sophisticated data reduction pipeline, a hierarchical database, and Science Servers that return derived data products.
- The PS1 Telescope A 1.8 meter telescope with a 3.2 degree diameter field of view.
- The 1.4 Gigapixel Camera largest digital camera in the world.
- The Observatory, Telescope, Instrument, Software (OTIS) system for controlling the observatory remotely from the PS1 Remote Operations Center at the IfA's Advanced Technology Research Center in Pukalani, Maui.
- )(IPP) takes the more than 3 terabytes of nightly data and calibrates it, astrometrically registers it, makes difference images to determine changes, and determines attributes of objects in the images.
- The Published Science Products System (PSPS) is the hierarchical relational database that makes the catalogs from the IPP and Science Servers available for searching and complex queries.
There are also "Science Servers" or complex data analysis systems that take output from the IPP or PSPS and produce derived science products or timely alerts of transient phenomena.